Matthias Church

Matthias Church

Matthias Church

This church is called up after King Matthias, or Matthias the Just, a king who lived between 1443 and 1490. He got married twice in this church, and this is also why the church is called up after him. Officially though it is called the Church of Our Lady!

As the Turks invaded Hungary, they also took over the castle area. The church was made into a prayer house, but they also used it as a stable for their horses. In 1686 they managed to defeat the muslim forces, and the city and the church got into christian hands again. During the battle, it is said that a sculpture of Virgin Mary that was hidden away, suddenly appeared to the Muslims, and their morale collapsed and the city fell the same day.

Inside you can find parts that date all the way back to the 15th century, and the originally gothic church still keeps its style. But, pay attention to the roof, made in Art Nouveau style, very typical for buildings from the end of the 19th century, and start of the 20th century (when they restored much of the church).

The Matthias Church

Opening times: Mon-Fri 9:00-17:00. Sat 9:00-13:00. Sun 13:00-17:00
Fees: 1000 Ft (adult)
Address: Szentháromság Tér
Metro stop: Moszkva Tér, castlebus (VÁRBUSZ) from there
More information: Homepage

Matthias Church pictures

Matthias and Fishermens

Matthias and Fishermens

Matthias Budapest

What an amazing roof

Front of Matthias Church

Front of Matthias Church

On a beautiful sunny day

On a beautiful sunny day

Strange panorama shot of Matthias Church

Strange panorama shot of Matthias Church

Share Button