How do I get around Budapest, and what are the best modes of transportation?

Budapest Guide Forums Everything about Budapest How do I get around Budapest, and what are the best modes of transportation?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Grace

What is the best way to discover and to travel around Budapest? Are taxis expensive? Hop-on hop-off buses? Or should I use public transportation?

• #18576 Reply
      Budapest Guide
      Keymaster

Hi Grace,

I’d clearly say that Budapest is a city in which the public transportation is easy to use, fairly cheap, and more than enough for almost all your needs. The areas in which tourists move are quite central, meaning that if don’t mind walking, you can easily move between the castle area, the shopping street, the grand market hall, and other areas on foot. BUt, if you really want to travel with transport, the metro system is easy to use and a one-way ticket costs approximately 400 HUF. You can also buy a one-day pass or a three-day pass which is very ideal if you plan on using the public transportation regularly during your stay.

Taxis are more expensive than before, meaning you will normally pay between 3000-5000 HUF for trips within the city center of Budapest. The hop-on hop-off buses are nice for sightseeing, but not for general travel in Budapest. It should also be mentioned that since the Gellert Hill is currently closed for tourists and the castle area extremely hard to approach by bus, I really don’t see any use of a hop-on hop-off bus in Budapest at the moment.

You can check maps for the public transportation and see routes and more at https://bkk.hu/en/

Viewing 1 reply thread
Reply To: How do I get around Budapest, and what are the best modes of transportation?
Your information: